Stopping damp in concrete single leaf walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I think I am going to get damp coming through the single leaf workshop wall.

It will be from driving rain/wind I should think.

Can I render only the inside, possibly with the stuff used to cement swimming pools and water tanks? I thought this would allow the wall to breath on the outside. I could even paint the in rendered side with exterior paint to allow vapour transfer and further reduce rain soaking in?

ANY advice appreciated. I can normally avoid stuff happening like this, but this build has broken a 5+ year run of good knowledge and tradesmen. I am so in the poop!

Sponsored Links
You'd render the outside with waterproofed render, cos if you put it on the inside the damp will eventually cause it to fall off.. Have you thought about trying something like
http://www.sovchem.co.uk/weather-chek-facade-cream-5-litres.html

Several tradesmen I know bang on about that stuff , but I note the tone of your post seems theoretical - have you actually got a damp problem or have you simply convinced yourself that you will get one

That makes sense. I was looking at a similar product called STORMDRY. Same chemicals ans idea but thought it was something sold specifically to relieve idiots of their money (me). Will reconsider.

I saw damp patches after the last rain and noticed how the damp patch didn't show on the brick side of extension but the concrete blocks attached right next to them.

I went back and had a look with some new info on why pointing is important. The entire extension is unpointed! The old brick part is beautifully pointed. I will address this first and see if it helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back