Storage Combi: Viable alternative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be needing a new heating system and just wondered if Storage Combi boilers are any good (ie Are they the best of both worlds or a useless compromise?). The alternative seems to be an unvented cyclinder as I'm guessing a normal combi would probably struggle at peak demand times.
I've never lived in a house with an unvented system, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of my options before calling round for quotes. I've trawled through previous posts and my head is spinning (plus I don't know if heating tech has moved on in the last couple of years).
I like the idea of the all in one solution (especially as all water outlets will be pretty close - within about 10ft - of the boiler location) but then again I know nothing about boilers/heating systems.
If anyone can give me any pointers I would be extremely grateful.

Background: House will be 5 bed, 1 bath, 1 ensuite, 1 cloak (also have the option to use an electric shower as wiring is in place - would probably use this if we added another ensuite). Will be renewing water main (lead to plastic) so hopefully pressure/flow rate won't be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Will be renewing water main (lead to plastic) so hopefully pressure/flow rate won't be a problem.

Dont be so sure.

My place is 130 years old and after an almost overnight change in the pressure I renewed my lead main for 25mm MDPE pipe.

Made little or no difference.

South East Water are installing flow limiters in my neck of the woods and where there were streets that had in excess of 20 litres per minutes they are loosing 30 odd percent of that.

Mine was one of those.

I only found out after a few beers last summer with a supervisor at SE water, who previously had denied anything had changed.

God bless booze

in London the situation is slightly different...as where the mains has been renewed back to the street main vast improvements have been seen

as a rule if you have high standing and dynamic pressure increasing the diameter all the way to the main in the street will improve the flow...

We're in a Sutton and East Surrey Water area. We did have the obligatory water put in when we bought the place (6 months ago) and the pipe from the water main to the meter was also replaced (they were a little concerned over the lead levels). Pressure seems ok at the moment (though that is not based on anything more scientific than turning on a tap) but definately food for thought.

Sponsored Links
Glow worm ultrapower a cross between combi boiler and unvented cylinder. Will deliver unvented water delivery rates and fall back
to combi rates should it run out of hot water in the tank.
Can work just as a combi for energy saving. You also have immersion heater should boiler fail for hot water.

All in one nice box.

I do like the idea of 'all in one nice box'. Had originally been looking the ecotec 937 but thought the 2x7.5l tanks would not be enough.
Thanks for your help, I'll certainly mention the Ulrapower when I get some guys round to quote.

I do like the idea of 'all in one nice box'. Had originally been looking the ecotec 937 but thought the 2x7.5l tanks would not be enough.
Thanks for your help, I'll certainly mention the Ulrapower when I get some guys round to quote.

The ultrapower has I think it is 100 or 125 litre storage tank underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back