Storage Heater problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, I have a fairly new storage heater in my living room, it’s about 2 years old and has had fair usage. I noticed last week the switch on the wall was getting very hot to touch.

I took it off the wall to find the cables going to the storage heater were scorched and melted. The supply side was ok. I went out and bought another switch to rule out problems with that.

I noticed the other night there is a very bright spark emitting from inside the storage heater. It sparks quite brightly and it does it when the thermostat clicks on and off to charge the heater. This is happening around the dials.

I know there may be a spark as it turns on but along with the melted cables and the size of the spark im concerned there is something else wrong.

What else could be wrong with my storage heater?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
When you changed the switch did you notice if the cable screws where loose or at least not tight. Are they showing signs of burn now?

It is not uncommon to get sparks when contacts are making/breaking.
It is likely that the original damage was caused by loose connections.
But if you are concerned, I would contact the service engineer of the heater you have.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies!

I didnt notice the screws were loose at all when I changed the switch. I havnt been using the heater I was concerned about the fire risk.

I have the exact same heater in the bedrom and this one doesnt spark.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back