Faulty Electric Switch? Or Faulty Storage Heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last winter noticed a fishy smell. Tracked it down to a Electric Switch for Creda Storage Heater (79161C - April 1993). The switch was burned out. The contacts were cleaned out. Replaced with MK Electric 20A Switch.

Same thing happened again. The switch has burned out again.

The red cable is stiff for about an inch, burn marks outside, but above that the red cable is soft.

The Flex cable from storage heater which came into the switch is in good condition. Opened storage heater. Could not see any burns inside. Though did not open up any further. Is there anything I need to check for inside?

I just don't know if it the Electrics are wrong or a fault in storage heater itself.

The electric installation is from late 80s in Barratts built property.

How can I diagnose what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I asssume the heater is 3kw ? The evidence would point to a loose connection on the live feed or, as you have already experienced, a faulty switch. I would also check the connections at the CU are tight. Also check the cabling is adaquate for the connected load.

Regards,

DS

The switch has burned out again.

The red cable is stiff for about an inch,
When you replace the switch you need to cut the cable back to clean bright copper and soft insulation - where it's stiff it's become damaged by overheating, and won't make good contact any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back