Storage heater not working, no heat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I moved out of my property with storage heaters back in Aug 17, so wasn’t aware that you couldn’t now get them. I’d get a used one!

So, my question is will a generic thermal cut-out work
No, but the part needed is very likely this one: http://www.storageheater.co.uk/dimpex/xl-xt/xls/xls18n/charge-limiter-cutout-2.html

It doesn’t look like the part is available now as heater is around 7 years old.
7 years is nothing, parts are available for models that are decades old.

Unless your existing heater is totally destroyed, repair will be massively cheaper than a new heater. Virtually all parts are available.

Sponsored Links
No, but the part needed is very likely this one: http://www.storageheater.co.uk/dimpex/xl-xt/xls/xls18n/charge-limiter-cutout-2.html

7 years is nothing, parts are available for models that are decades old.

Unless your existing heater is totally destroyed, repair will be massively cheaper than a new heater. Virtually all parts are available.
It just looks like the Thermal cutout has gone. Heater is Denmans Nc3300 auto which is a rebadged dimplex. However, the shop does not know the model number. Purchased November 2008.

Thanks

... all storage heaters have to comply with Lot20 now, all have dual supplies ...
I haven't taken much notice of this business, since it doesn't really affect me at present, but I'm struggling to find out what this "must have dual supplies" is all about. Can you (or anyone) give me a very brief explanation and/or point me towards an explanation?

Kind Regards, John

Heaters must meet certain requirements for efficiency, and that involves having certain controls on them, namely some way of controlling the heat output based on time and temperature.
They also need some method of controlling the heat output.

The end result is storage heaters with more insulation, fans inside to push the heat out when needed, and various programmable controls to determine when the heat is released, and the only realistic option there is to have them mains powered, hence the dual supplies.

It's also very likely that they will be far less reliable than the older types, as putting electronics into a box full of blazing hot bricks is a recipe for failure.

The end result is storage heaters with more insulation, fans inside to push the heat out when needed, and various programmable controls to determine when the heat is released, and the only realistic option there is to have them mains powered, hence the dual supplies.
Thanks. I understand. I suppose that it could probably be achieved by a battery, but it would have to be one that didn't mind being very hot for most of the time.

Now that many/most E7 installations appear to be of the 'every cheap at night' type, how are storage heaters usually controlled - with all of them wired together and fed from a time-switched contactor, or with individual time switches at (or even in) each heater?
It's also very likely that they will be far less reliable than the older types, as putting electronics into a box full of blazing hot bricks is a recipe for failure.
Indeed so (just like the battery mentioned above!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back