Storage Heaters and consumer units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need heating in my flat and storage heating seems the best option. Currently there is a single rate meter leading to an old fuse box. My questions are as follows:
-Is there a charge to change to Economy 7?
-Do I need a second consumer unit, or can a single unit accommodate economy 7 as well?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
you can get dual tariff boards, either with an RCD and isolator switch or two switches, if you need RCD protected circuits and non RCD protected circuits just get the type with two main switches and use RCBOs instead of MCBs for those particular circuits

Dual Tariff board
nhiix6604.jpg

Wylex NHIIX6604 Insulated dual tariff consumer unit 6/6

Dual Tariff 100A Main Switch And 100a 30mA RCD
Dual Tariff 100A Main Switch And 100a Main S

MK make a CU with 3 switch
disconnectors for use in multi-tariff heating
applications, one of which could be replaced with an RCD if you need a split load formation for the non heating side
K5656s
INSULATED CONSUMER UNIT
ONE 63A SWITCH DISCONNECTOR
TWO 100A SWITCH DISCONNECTORS
AND 3 INTEGRAL NEUTRAL BARS
ACCEPTS A FURTHER 10
ONE MODULE PRODUCTS
(SURFACE)

Economy 7 is an old tariff. See if you can get one that puts all your nightime usage on cheap rate. Then you can run your washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, bedroom heater, immersion heater on cheap electricity as well.

It also save you needing a dual-tariff CU, or two CUs.

They charge a higher daytime rate if you have cheap night power.

Be aware that storage heaters tend to give out most of their heat during the day and are fairly cold by evening. This is fine if you are retired or have a baby, but not much good if you are out at work. gas heating is always cheaper.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back