Storage Heaters. Replace? Or another alternative.

My EPC is in date, I have not paid for it, and no one has been in the house to inspect it.

As to fan heater I have one in the old house, (still technically mine, son buying it, but seen no money yet) and also the house before that, and it is a double edged sword.

It insures all air at same temperature as air is circulated, first house had vents in all doors for return air, and ducts to supply the air, so one thermostat for whole house, no water it was gas hot air, and house son now has had a Myson fan assisted radiator.

Back in the 70's it was bad, as the warm air circulated past the cold single glazed windows, the house my son now has worked reasonable well, however having the stairs direct off the living room resulted in too much warm air going upstairs.

Home design is important, in this house we have internal doors, last house was open plan, parents house had bay windows, which caught the sun, last house high winds cooled the house, it was on top of a hill, this house on the side of a valley wind does not change much.

Even placement of outside doors, when we bought last house rear door was opposite to from door 180°, when the kitchen extension was built it ended up 90° to from door, this made a massive difference in the way wind could blow through the house.

What we are looking at is how much it costs to maintain the temperature within the home, and the EPC fails to do that, it works by a points system, so many points if there are solar panels, and it does not matter if they work or not. And the recommendations are silly.

Floor insulation (solid floor)

Typical installation cost
£4,000 - £6,000
Typical yearly saving
£62
It does not take rocket science to work out 5000/62 = 80 years, so clearly at 70 year old non starter.
Condensing boiler

Typical installation cost
£2,200 - £3,000
Typical yearly saving
£236
OK getting better 10 years, however they have missed the fact it already has a Condensing boiler, same for low energy lighting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back