Storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi been hanging around here for a while picking up all the good advice and tips and finally joined so I could post my question to the forum regarding storage heaters and electric radiators. Quick description of my house wiring old type fuse box four fuses one feeds radial to lounge two double sockets.
One feeds ring to kitchen 30amp fuse, one feeds ring to bedrooms 30amp, last one feeds lights. Seperate box for garage done in 2007 after garage burnt down. What I would like to know is can I spur off the double sockets on the ring to install the storage heating or failing that the electric radiators or will all need there seperate circuits. At the moment my heating is oil filled rads and a couple of oil free ones all set on timers and individual thermostats.
Thanks for any help.
pothole

Sponsored Links
Meaning that you need a new consumer unit for the storage heaters at least and then connection to a time switch and the new meter that will need fitting by your supplier.

If you must have electric heating install some air source heat pumps, especially if your lifestyle is not a good fit with storage heaters

Sponsored Links
As wingcoax says, usually they require a separate consumer unit connected to a twin (or more) tariff meter installed by your electricity supplier.

This is because they should only be powered when the cheap(er) electricity is available.

Connecting them to a continual live supply would mean they consume power at the normal rate which is about 3 times the cost of the cheaper rate.

Thanks all for the advice I have been on economy 7 for years now so that part is sorted just need to look further at a new consumer unit and cost it up.

pothole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back