storage to mains water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any help would be appreciated
we have just had a combi boiler put in but we want to run the bath basin taps off the mains instead of the storage tank inour loft, can we bypass the storage tank and get rid of it ????
also we want to replace our electric shower with a thermostatic one is there any special one we should get because we are doing away with the electric one that feeds off the main ??
thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, you can bypass and remove the tank in the loft. in fact you need to if you are going to run a shower from your combi

any thermostatic shower will do - just check that it is suitable for mains pressure supply. most are

My last home was a small bungalow. When I had a new combi fitted instead of the gravity/tank system, I also had the tank fed cold converted to mains.

I soon converted it back to cold tank feed when I found out how noisy mains pressure cold is. My bathroom was next to the living room, and I couldn't hear the telly when 'er indoors was doing her teeth etc, etc.

If yours is a large house, you may be OK. If not, you may regret it.

very easy to do but a couple of things to consider, mains pressure being greater can cause leaks to appear on storage pipe fittings, so keep the pressure down, you need to also change the orifice in the ballvalve inside cistern, to convert without major disruption to anything drain and disconnect loft tank, remove and set aside, take a pipe from ballvalve connection to draw off from tank, reduced if required, job done.

Sponsored Links
thanks for info guys so basically i am disconnecting the ballcock in the storage tank and as that is already under mains supply i just take a connection from there and connect it to the storage cold feed that was coming from the storage tank ? then for my shower i tap into the hot supply to give me my hot feed for the shower ??
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back