Stoves cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help with this?
My new Stoves Sterling cooker hood 444410831 has 150mm cylindrical trunking which reduces after a 90 degree bend into box trunking 200mm x 60mm, then out through a tile vent.
The reduction in flow is about 33%, which doesn't sound a massive amount.
When the extractor is set to minimum there is a sensor that detects the reduced flow and sets the fan to maximum output. This is very noisy and annoying!!
I have read that it is possible to reduce the power sent to the fan using a potentiometer or resistor.
Has anyone done this and if so how would I find a technician to do this work?
Thanks

IMG_6945 copy.jpg
IMG_6944 copy.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you rquestion.
Where the trunking goes through the ceiling this 90 degree bend is located (the other way up) converting from 150mm circular to 200mm x 60mm rectangular.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 13.09.47.png

The flexible tube will not help the flow. I recently did some research on my extractor hood and you start with so many meters of straight length as a max and for every 90 degree turn you take off a few meters so it just shows you what even 1 turn can do to the flow.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for you rquestion.
Where the trunking goes through the ceiling this 90 degree bend is located (the other way up) converting from 150mm circular to 200mm x 60mm rectangular.

View attachment 333798
Yes that is where your problem is. Is there space to go bigger that 60mm tall.

Last edited:
Many thanks.
I know where the problem is, my question was about finding a technician to install a potentiometer or resistor to override the sensor giving full power to the fan motor.

do you mean you cannot increase the trunking to the correct size?

if your only option is to tinker with the control circuitry, I would have thought disabling the sensor would be simpler.

No idea.

Motor speed controls use electric wizardry. It might be measuring load on the motor caused by obstructed flow.

A circuit builder can buy ready made control circuits, but not something I know about.

Ask @bernardgreen

"I have read that it is possible to reduce the power sent to the fan using a potentiometer or resistor."

Was that specific to your model or a generalised suggestion. Your idea may or may not be feasible but I doubt it will be economically viable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back