Straight or angled 2nd-fix nailer, pros and cons?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old 2nd fix nailer (16g) died and I am thinking of migrating to the Dewalt version as I mostly run XR kit.
They do two 16 tools (DCN660 and DCN662) which seem near-identical except one is straight and the other angled.
Other than the fact I already have a bunch of straight 16g nails, having never used an angled gun I've no idea if one has advantages over the other?

Can anyone give some insight into why someone would choose one over the other?

Sponsored Links
Angled will get into corners, e.g. bottom of a skirting near the floor, etc more easily. Downsides are that the nails are often slightly more expensive and the shortist length is 32mm, whereas the shortest straights I've seen were 16mm, with the shortest I used on a DW DCN660 being 25mm. Pretty much it, really

Another downside of cordless guns is that they struggle with dense materials such as hardwood (oak, mahogany, etc). They are fine on softwood and MDF, though. I moved to Hikoki/Hitachi (compressed air over battery) from DW about 4 years ago, partly for that reason, but even though they are better I still have the need for a gas nailer (Senco) when dealing with oak

Thanks - this is all DIY and typically I use softwood - I didn't have issues with power no the old Ryobi one (though depth was a bit erratic I never figured if that was the gun or my skills!) so I assume Dewalt's will be very similar.

I have been panelling out a garden room and the issue in corners was a faff so perhaps the angle one, though it might depend on whichever I can get the best deal on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back