Straighten stair winder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As part of adding an extension to add a bedroom over our garage our stairs are going to be modified so instead of turning left they will carry straight on to a landing.

The idea was to get a carpenter to modify the last few steps to do this. The wall would be pushed back to create a landing to get into the extension on the right.

We had a builder round and he said this isn't possible and that the whole stair case would have to be replaced. Also that due to the angle the top step wouldn't finish where the wall starts.

Can anyone shed any light on this. I've attached photos.

To me it looks like the winders just get replaced with straight steps
Screenshot_20180516-191637.png
Screenshot_20180516-190431.png

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it would probley be cheaper and quicker for a new straight flight

I changed the base of my stairs to a winder , but at the top is much more difficult , quicker to swop , would take longer to modify than replace.

Your builder is correct. Kite winders need to be assembled in-situ and trying to reconstruct one at the top of a flight is going to be much more time consuming and costly than simply replacing with a new flight

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

I'm getting mixed messages to be honest. Some people are saying you can just modify the winders. There is good access from underneath the stairs if that makes any difference.

We could leave the stairs as they are but straightening them gains about 10 inches or so which means the the ensuite is bigger than it would be if we left the stairs and had a corridor around to the extension.

The soil pipe also gets nicely boxed into a wall if we straighten the stairs.

The idea was to not disturb the whole stair case as it is boxed in between our living room and the garage wall.

Thanks

Screenshot_20180523-202844.png
Screenshot_20180523-203002.png

I'm getting mixed messages to be honest. Some people are saying you can just modify the winders.
No mixed messages at all.You have a builder and three people on here who are saying more or less the same thing.

The joints on an upper kite winder means that the stairs would need to be fully supported from beneath while the necessary cutting out is done. You will then need to lift the floor where the new stairs will end and install timbers to support the top of the new stairs. This may also involve doubling up (sistering) an existing joist if the stairs currently terminate on a single one (it depends on whether or not there is a supporting wall structure beneath). Finally you will need to make-up a new section of stair identical to the current one and splice the two together which is probably still going to produce a weak section of stairs. I doubt that any competent joiner would go anywhere near the job because it is a complete and utter bodge on a load bearing structure. But you obviously didn't want to read that

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

By mixed messages I don't just mean on here. I have had two builders say it would be possible and an architect who made the plans.

I'm not in the know so appreciate your advice and agree with you on the way forward.

Quick question. If we replace the stair case with a straight one the idea was they would end about 10 inches before the wall at the top. This would then make the ensuite bigger.

Is this where the current floor can be extended like you mentioned?

The best way would be to leave the stays as is and make it so you walk around to the new extension but with a 900mm corider the ensuite would be on the very small side.

Thanks again

you wont be able to bring the stairs back say 10 inches without changing your bulkhead below your cupboard on landing as you would have headroom issues
theres a bit more involved than altering stairs or sliding them back
even if you did alter kites you would still have a full 3 treads so wouldn't gain any room

Hi, I have measured and 3 straight steps are about 10 inches shorter than the current winder so not looking to move the stairs back.

We had thought about moving the stairs back but as you say the bulk head needs adjusting and it would also eat into bedroom 4 which we didn't want.

So just replacing the winder with 3 straight steps (by replacing the staircase) we gain the extra space.

Thanks

You would gain roughly the width of a tread but would it be worth it for such a small gain

You would gain roughly the width of a tread but would it be worth it for such a small gain

True I agree it isn't much gain but it would make for a nicer landing and would make the ensuite bigger. Could we fit an ensuite in the space if we didn't straighten the stairs?

We could leave the stairs as is and have it like a neighbour has where you walk around. I have attached a photo of this but his corridor is less than the standard which wouldn't be allowed now.

I have also attached the existing and also measured a 750mm corridor from the existing stairs. The soil pipe would also need moving.

I think its too small.

Apologies this is a bit off topic but it does involve stairs :)

IMG_20170709_111343077.jpg

Untitled.png

i do see what youre to gain
either way a new staircase or altering the exsisting will give you the same outcome
so now down too youre builders too decide :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back