Straightening Polypipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using 25m coils of 22mm & 15mm polypipe in the refurbishment of a house, and wonder whether anyone has any tips for getting the stuff to straighten out. The 22mm pipe, in particular, is very stiff, and looking at one or two joins, the twisting force is distorting the pipe at couplings and I fear for the long term durability of the joins.

I'm told it softens considerably when hot, and perhaps that will sort out the hot water & heating pipes, once they come into use, but not the cold?

Sponsored Links
I always double clip plastic every side of a joint. It does soften when hot, then tends to hold it's new shape when it cools again. Even the cold pipework will take to its new shape after a time. You can also bend it back against itself as it comes off the coil which helps a little too.

Speedfit Polybutylene has less 'memory' than other brands, allegedly.
Too late if you've already bought Polypipe.

I wondered whether pouring a kettle of boiling water through the lengths of pipe before use might soften them enough to straighten them a bit. Anyone tried anything similar?

Sponsored Links
Speedfit Polybutylene has less 'memory' than other brands, allegedly.
Too late if you've already bought Polypipe.

Too late, indeed: but I'm told the warranty is invalid if mixed products are used, so I'm using polypipe stuff, throughout (and I'm over 80% finished).

If you want to heat it then temporarily connect to a hot pipe and run lots of hot water into a bath ( to reuse it ).

But unless you can make it straight and stay straight when cooling it may not help much!

Thats one of the reasons that I use copper pipes!

Tony

The warranty cannot be invalidated by using two pipe materials. The only bit that will cause polypipe concern is the transition points, and they make great claims for compatability with other eg: copper systems. The new layflat Speedfit is much easier to use, Im doing 350m tomorrow. Radiators off manifolds, no underfloor joints.

Use straight Lengths. Simples!! :LOL:

They're MUCH more expensive, and I already have the coiled pipe. Having said that, I need slightly more 22mm pipe than I have, and I will be buying a couple of lengths. I just wish you could straighten the ******* stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back