what size poly pipe for outside tap...15, 22mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quick background:
Living in a static round the back of house which is now fed from the outside tap at the front of the house. This tap will soon go when building works start out the front. I therefore need to add a new exterior pipe at the rear of the house and since there's no plumbing round the back, I am going to connect to the cold water pipe in the attic using a polypipe and then run this through the soffit down along outside wall to where the tap will be (external wall will have EWI, so should be safe from freezing). The tap will stay there longterm, so not a temp solution.

Question:

As I need sufficient pressure in the static caravan (25m from house) will 15mm pipe suffice? Or should I go for 22mm? I think the latter would be best, but increase the cost.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
20mm Blue pipe ;)

Blue?? Blue?? I really prefer the white....
:LOL:

I guess you mean the MDPE 20mm pipe? In which case, what I will now do is to just use that and get an MDPE reducing joiner to connect up to the existing 25mm MDPE pipe round the back of the house. I'll then sort out a permanent tap once the house nears completion.

Not sure how I am going to connect the mdpe in the attic to the imperial copper pipe. Can you get 1/2in equal tee connections? I read somewhere that I could get away with 15 mm to 15mm tee connecting. I'm hoping it's 1/2in as the other imperial sizes will be a bugger to get I think. :cry:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
20mm plastic is only a little bigger i.d. than 15mm copper, but because it comes in long flexible coils, you will not need joints, elbows etc so the flow ends up better. And of course it is easier to run.

If you already have a 25mm plastic supply, then yes, the extra cost of 25mm is very slight, and the labour is the same. But will this caravan be running baths and full size showers? It would need a full-size water heating system if it will.

20mm plastic is only a little bigger i.d. than 15mm copper, but because it comes in long flexible coils, you will not need joints, elbows etc so the flow ends up better. And of course it is easier to run.

If you already have a 25mm plastic supply, then yes, the extra cost of 25mm is very slight, and the labour is the same. But will this caravan be running baths and full size showers? It would need a full-size water heating system if it will.

Thanks John D. The static has already got a CH system in there which seems to work fine with the existing pressure via the 'old' tap connection in the house.

I think I will go for the 20mm plastic rather than the 25mm simply for the slightly better flexibility. Running down the exterior wall from the soffit into the ground there will be some tight-ish corners where I don't want to fit elbows if I can help it.

Hi,

Quick background:
Living in a static round the back of house which is now fed from the outside tap at the front of the house. a polypipe and then run this through the soffit down along outside wall to where the tap will be (external wall will have EWI, so should be safe from freezing). The tap will stay there longterm, so not a temp solution.

Question:

As I need sufficient pressure in the static caravan (25m from house) will 15mm pipe suffice? Or should I go for 22mm? I think the latter would be best, but increase the cost.

Thanks!

Can you not trench it and run it underground from the incoming mains?

Hi,

Quick background:
Living in a static round the back of house which is now fed from the outside tap at the front of the house. a polypipe and then run this through the soffit down along outside wall to where the tap will be (external wall will have EWI, so should be safe from freezing). The tap will stay there longterm, so not a temp solution.

Question:

Thanks!

Thats a good thought but in my case that's all going to be dug up and moved at some point during the build. I think it's also an old lead pipe still as well.

Can you not trench it and run it underground from the incoming mains?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back