Strang wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a house which was built in 1886.. since has been extended i think back in the 70s..

now our bathroom is downstairs,, taking up half this extension,, its a fully bricked, cavity extension just look like part of the house....

the half of the extension closest to house has a room above so it has a brick wall all the way up,, but a metre on there is another brick wall which is the start of the batroom,., bathroom has a flat roof above..

1- i dont understand this brick wall there is nothing abovce apart from flat roof so whats it supporting???

2- i want to remove part of it, make bathroom bigger,, how do i prove its not supporting anything ?

Sponsored Links
1- i dont understand this brick wall there is nothing abovce apart from flat roof so whats it supporting???

Erm, the flat roof? (possibly)

Only way to tell is to do some investigation. Remove bit of the ceilling and find out if the joists finish up on this wall. If they continue on to be supported elsewhere and are of suitable depth for the span then you're probably good to go.

It might be bracing the walls or could just be a masonry partition intended for a toilet or seperate utility area?

Building regs used to require 2 seperate doors between a kitchen and WC so could've been put in to satisfy this reg.

ahhh i see, thats an awesome bit of info,, becuase it is the kitchen next to it,,, therefore makes sense the 2 doors !!!!

kitchen is moving to the front of house and i am wanting to move half the said wall,, if it is just supporting joists going acorss how could i safely remove that half wall ?? itzs very small like 1.5m wide i wanna reemove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back