Strange conduct!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i belong to quite a few differing forums, trade, and other wise, and have recently joined this one, as i have heard about it from else where....
i do how ever have a few points that i would like to raise!!!!

i find quite a few areas, that leave me bewildered as well as bemused!!!

1) Firstly you have a forum Information area where you "CAN ASK QUESTIONS" regarding this forum , no you can't as it is locked , and only privy to posting by admin!

2) you have stated on a recent post -Not to hijack postings(RULE 17) which are more than a month old!! and locked it!! prey tell why, as if someone like myself comes along a while after the thread had an answer, how the heck can anyone offer any further advise to a persons problem!!! apart from the fact your mod has got the rule No: wrong, it should have been No: 20, and should have inserted do not post to posts more than a month old!! while on this vein, how can you hijack a post, stick an optical mouse to its head!!??

3) in your rules you state capitals (meaning UPPERCASE, means shouting!! e-mails and text messaging , maybe, in the english languague it is used to HIGH LIGHT , or stress a word!!

4) you do not seem to allow any references to other forums, at all, and the zealous admin/mods you have, strike them out rapid!!! this i really can not under stand, especially as other forums do refer to this here forum quite regular! this seems to be a rather one sided dim view of the reasoning behind the web!! as a whole!!!

5) rule 14.. don't comply, say good bye, Hummmm! seems again to be a short sighted attitude , as how does one know if one complies to the sites rules, if all we can find is an abbridged version??

6) in your forum info section, there is a thread regards to cookies and the Adviva cookie, this according to my IT guy, IS collecting info from anyone posting here, collecting the data from the cookies of other site visited! it is apparently one of their back door progs! so when smaller progs Like SPYBOT , ADWARE etc pick it up they are actually doing so with good reason!!

No doubt i will probably be barred/banned or at the least sesured for this post!
but hay ho, w t hell ... if you can't ask reasonable questions on a forum, why have it!

Sponsored Links
I will try and answer

1) I belive that is because too many non forum questions were asked

2) That came about because people would reply to old posts expecting an answer from the original poster, despite the fact that the poster only ever made one post, I seem to recall one about a suggestion to solve a problem where the question was 3 years old, in which case the problem would have been solved.

Just after i have typed this, some one replied to an almost 4 year old post with an advert for thier product. Not a lot of use since as i said you would have expected the job to have been done by now, and free advertising is not allowed

Hi jacking a post is when some one asks a question that they did not start in the first place, this causes confusion with the reply.

Typical example:

A has problem with boiler, gets several replies

B says similar problem gets replies, A then asks regarding their problem but gets a reply for B as person replying doesn't realise its different problem

Forum rules numbers have changed slightly

3) On this forum capitals is considered shouting, some times new members will post whole question in capitals

4)

5) Quite often new posters will post an advert for their product or service, this is not allowed in posts, any they do do not comply so are deleted. Also swearing is not allowed, some just post swear words, so again they are deleted

6)

sorry i can not answer 4 or 6 as i do not run the forum.

But look at it this way, The owner must have got something right if the forum is this popular

welcome aboard

I shall address point (6), if your IT guy has told you that a cookie from a banner ad is a 'backdoor prog' then he is wrong, a cookie is not a backdoor program in any sense. Peoples view of cookies vary widely, they can be used for a variety of reasons and uses, but with modern browsers you can easily control how they are used. A cookie is a small nuggett of information that is stored on your computer when you visit a site, this can be for a variety of purposes, for example on the DIYnot.com forums when you login, one way of keeping you logged in is by using cookies. The cookie stores a unique key related to your login on your computer. When your browser requests a page it presents the cookie and so DIYnot can tell that you are logged in and allow you to post etc. Another example, banner ad companies use cookies to ensure as best they can that the advert you see are varied etc.

If you use a browser like Firefox you can view the cookies that your computer has and the info they contain and delete them should you see fit.

Regarding your statement 'collecting info from anyone posting here, collecting the data from the cookies of other site visited', is also factually incorrect, a cookie from Adviva can only read the data it has itself written, it can not read other cookies or tell what other sites you have been on.

Hope that clears things up.

Welcome to the forum :)

Sponsored Links
3) There are many different ways to highlight words without using capitals.

6) Generically, cookies can be used to track your movements from one site to another. The cookie given to you directly by DIYnot is OK, but ones placed via advertisements can be misused. Doubleclick do this (or used to - I've not kept up to date with what they do), but I have no idea what Adviva do with theirs.

I use Cookie Pal to manage my cookies, and this site works fine with adviva.net in my filter list....

A cookie can only be read by the host that wrote it, so if Adviva was used on multiple sites then yes they could tell, even then they can only read the data they have written, but that's as far as it goes. As you mention with the use of a cookie manager/controller (either browser inbuit or 3rd party) you can prevent misuse of cookies.

Hi that seems to have cleared up some of the required items, thanks, however, Questions 4 & 5 still have yet to have an answer!! 4 has had No replies at all, and 5, what i actually asked for was a set of the rules, not an abridged version, as in you "quick ref" rules, there are quite a few No's missing!
thanks so far anyway!

TIMBAWOLF said:
as in you "quick ref" rules, there are quite a few No's missing!
AFAIK that's because rules sometimes get dropped, but the remaining ones don't get renumbered so as not to make a nonsense of existing posts where people have been referred to "Rule ##".

talk about strange..sorry but I comprehended about a third of what you said. I guess it is possible to have a heavy accent when typing, huh? Do you have point of view? Or were you just complaining? Just wondering :confused: I think I just read too slow--I am from the southern region (US) and you know that annoying way that people say"Ilove to hear you talk"? well, I guess it was sorta the same thing--sorry--didn't mean to offend :oops:

If I help an old person across the road, no one notices.

If I then start beating hell out of him/her, a large crowd gathers.

Oh well let's hope that crowd would still notice the adverts eh?

Ok, Marra !! ;) ;)

mlb3c said:
talk about strange..sorry but I comprehended about a third of what you said. I guess it is possible to have a heavy accent when typing, huh? Do you have point of view? Or were you just complaining? Just wondering :confused:
WTF :?: :?: :?:

I wrote this:

AFAIK that's because rules sometimes get dropped, but the remaining ones don't get renumbered so as not to make a nonsense of existing posts where people have been referred to "Rule ##".

Which ²/3 was incomprehensible to you?

sorry no cant understand a word of the above post ?? can u say it again SLOWWWLLLYY
TA :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back