Strange intermittent fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I had a strange fault tonight on my house electrics, my pc had turned itself off so i restarted it and as windows came up there was a whoosh noise and all the 13amp sockets tripped out, I turned off the sockets went downstairs and the trip had blown so i reset it and went back upstairs and before I turned the sockets on i noticed the little red light on the four way extension was lit! so I got my rapitest 13amp socket tester and it lit up only the r/hand bulb which according to the front pic means (L&Earth Reverse),
I then checked the socket wiring (actually replaced socket) still the same fault so I checked all upstairs sockets all ok the downstairs sockets were ok til i got to the kitchen where the rapitest showed left bulb off (n fault)so i checked the wiring all looked ok in the sockets i put the socket back on the wall & re checked and all ok ??
I then checked upstairs by the PC and all ok.
then my dad suggested trying the cleaner down in the kitchen, blew the trip in about 10 secs, reset and the rapitest showed all ok, tried the cleaner upstairs and all ok?? now the PC seems ok. now i'm at a loss ? could the upstairs socket (front bedroom) and downstairs kitchen (back of the house) be on the same bit of wiring? the house is 20yrs old still on original wiring. anyone got any ideas? or am i best to find an electritian in the yellow pages and get him in asap?

many thanks in advance
cam

Sponsored Links
Cammer2005 said:
could the upstairs socket (front bedroom) and downstairs kitchen (back of the house) be on the same bit of wiring?

you tell us. is it from the same MCB/fuse? and thats 'trippin'

andy said:
Cammer2005 said:
could the upstairs socket (front bedroom) and downstairs kitchen (back of the house) be on the same bit of wiring?

you tell us. is it from the same MCB/fuse? and thats 'trippin'

yes the upstairs and down stairs are on the same trip 32A

the fault hasnt re-occured overnight i left the PC off
if there is a fault on the PC power supply would there be anything in the house wiring that would give this fault then reset itself?

Sponsored Links
Hi during the day I removed the cover off the consumer unit and found a neutral wire and a live wire slightly loose inside, so I hope this may have been the cause, all has been ok today though :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back