Strange (?) Lighting Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fellas,

I've been researching lighting circuit setups and have read about junction box and loop in variants.

Having checked a light in my cloakroom I seem to have one love but two neutrals coming in to the fitting. My understanding was it'd either have one cable coming in, or two, not one and a half like I seem to have.

Can anyone explain why this might be please?

TIA

Sponsored Links
A photo of the connections at the light fitting would help. It is probably 1 live, 1 neutral and 1 switched live.

IMG_20221121_094020.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is there an earth terminal behind the white cable? If there is then they should terminate in there, not in the central loop bank.
If there is no earth terminal behind the white cable, I would be tempted to use a single 'choc-block' connector and leave the central bank empty.

Is there an earth terminal behind the white cable? If there is then they should terminate in there, not in the central loop bank.
If there is no earth terminal behind the white cable, I would be tempted to use a single 'choc-block' connector and leave the central bank empty.
I appreciate the 'correctness' of doing that but TBH I wouldn't bother unless any other alterations made the effort worthwhile.

Just me being a bit fastidious, (maybe a little OCD), but if I opened a rose and saw it, I would wonder about the rest of the installation.
Probably unnecessarily, but thats my way.

Just me being a bit fastidious, (maybe a little OCD), but if I opened a rose and saw it, I would wonder about the rest of the installation.
Probably unnecessarily, but thats my way.
And certainly not a wrong way to be, I sooooo wish that didn't feel like the exception.

And certainly not a wrong way to be, I sooooo wish that didn't feel like the exception.
Do you remember some of the photos RF Lightning used to post of some of his work?
Sooooo neat! And his pyro work was exceptional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back