Strange lighting circuit. * Completed*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to to take a spur of my lighting circuit for an extractor fan- however.......

The lighting circuit in the attic is neither the loop in system or the junction box system which I understand.

What I have is one junction box with two cables for each light. I am confused about how this works and whether or not it is safe.

Where abouts on this system would you run a spur to feed the fan.?

Any help appreciated.
Horty

Sponsored Links
So all the lighting cables in the attic run to this box? Nothing wrong with that. It shouldnt be too difficult for you to find a permenant live and neutral in that box, there may even be a couple of spare terminals for you to use. If you want the fan on with the bathroom lights, you need to wire it to the bathroom switched live too.

Yes thats right all the cables go into one junction box. There appears to be one cable to the switch and one to the light fitting for each light. would this make sense?

Yes. It keeps it neat in the loft, one point of access for all the joints.

Beware though, it may have had alterations and look a complete pig sty, but if your lucky it'll be neat and tidy inside.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back