Nor did the old rule 'always test RCDs with the loads disconnected' until one failed on 1x and 5x, disconnected a refrigeration load and it was well within spec (was a brand new Schneider RCBO so it should bloody well pass!)

Yeah, I had that too. Funnily enough with an old MK CU.
It failed 1/2 x test and the Zs was too high, but when tested in isolation, it flew through the tests.

Sponsored Links
I hope you didn't use a socket adaptor with a link between L&E and then test the resistance at the consumer unit end?

Yes, I did why? I of course disconnected the CPC from the earth bar in the CU and connected it to the alligator clip of my MFT; all MCB's & RCD's were also switched off during taking the reading.

I even tried to re-energise the 32A MCB after I was done, forgetting that my R2 socket adapter was still plugged in! :notworthy::rolleyes:

Last edited:
My guess is as @Iggifer there's a parallel earth path somewhere helping out. Is there a boiler or something nearby on that circuit connected to the gas or water pipe and via next doors bonding?
Not sure about a parallel live path though, that would seem less likely, and would be needed to get that reading. Maybe zdb with bonding connected would be 0.01 ohm and all the impedence is in the earth, what's the PFC?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back