Strange problem with Roses - buds not opening normally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The Rose bush pictured below which was already in the garden when we moved here has never produced flowers that open fully. When they do open they have this strange green bud like thing in the middle. Just wondering if anyone knows what causes this/what to do about it?

I am aware that it has a bit of mildew and rust and have bought some spray to apply when I get a dry day. I am also aware that I will probably need to cut it back a bit but I don't know what type of Rose bush (eg shrub/bush etc) it is so if someone knows that also, that would be helpful and I can get pruning instructions from a book.

P.S. As I was waiting for the photo to upload I found a picture of something similar on the web and it referred to it as 'vegetative centre' but still didn't seem to be any advice on how to fix it.

Thanks.

//media.diynot.com/138000_137626_79306_53015631_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Pruning is easy, I normally cut mine back about October, the bushes against the wall I cut a few inches lower then the top of the wall an the rose's in the garden I cut to about knee height. Cut them to the height you want em. From what I've read, for bigger better roses next year cut it back to just a few inches above the ground.

Hi,
The Rose bush pictured below which was already in the garden when we moved here has never produced flowers that open fully. When they do open they have this strange green bud like thing in the middle. Just wondering if anyone knows what causes this/what to do about it?

Proliferation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. Judging by the info at the links and what I was able to find myself there doesnt seem to be an obvious 'fix' for this. In most cases it seems to be just the odd flower or one season but as in my case its happening repeatedly it sounds like, according to the RHS site, that it is a virus and I may have to replace it.

I think I will give it a spray then prune back later in the year and if its still doing the same next year i'll dig it out.

id give it a moderate prune now even.

youre not going to lose anything if the plant already has a virus and chances are, if the plant is healthy enough, that you might still get some flowers before the summers over.

just look at it as some hard dead heading.

i always prune my roses instead of just cutting of the dead flower, you"ll get many more flowers come back and it will encourage new shoots too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back