Strange smell when bleeding radaitor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keep having to bleed just 2 radiators on a system of 14. When I do so the rad emits a strange rubbery smell and also a very slight thin smoke like mist (Not hot) that dissipates almost immediately. We have recently had a new unvented cylinder and boiler installed and the system was well flushed for this. Inhibitor was also added.

Any ideas if this is something to be concerned about?

Sponsored Links
Depending on how it was plumbed in air may be sitting in high spots in pipework and finding its way into what is usually the highest point of the system. Also a recently filled system will have air dissolved in the water which will be released as the water is heated. This will find its way into the tops of the radiators initially(small amount). Once all the dissolved air is out, and any air sitting in pipes you shouldnt have to bleed anymore. You dont mention timescale. Was it filled 2 days ago or 2 months ago.

It was done about 4 months ago. The rads were bled over a couple of days after that, but not since until last week so it could well be pockets of trapped air as you suggest. I have just never smelled this rubbery smell or seen the fine mist coming out of the valve.

Fine mist is probably as a result of the pressure in the system. Was it open vented before? Is it just that its different. If you havnt bled for 3 months i would just keep an eye on it. Im guessing inhibitor was added after the clean and all the cleanser thouroughly flushed out prior. If it was just a bit of air dont worry. Make sure you top back up.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that. Yes it was a vented system before that with a weak old boiler. Thanks for your replies and I will do as you suggest keep an eye on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back