Strange tap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a new bathroom. (Only taken 2 years) which my mother in law was very impressed with, except when she came to use the basin. The taps don't turn in the conventional way. The hot (on the left) turns anticlockwise to turn it ON and the cold clockwise ON. This feels wrong to her (and to me). I would expect them to work the opposite way.

I have installed Heritage 1/4 turn taps which have ceramic discs. The body of the taps clearly have the 'C' and 'H' cast into them and these are correct. To further confuse things the bath has hot and cold clockwise for ON which is the opposite to everything else in my house!! These are also 1/4 turn ceramic Heritage taps.

When I first installed the taps I had a faulty valve (grinding) which Heritage replaced without question. I noticed then that the new valves came they had a blue and a red sleeve which you can't see from the outside. Are they interchangeable?

questions are:
Is it wrong?
How can this be? (I am extremely thorough when I installed plus I have double checked and can see no problem). Is this a mix up at the factory?

Can I just change the valves on the basin to swap over? Seems simple as long as I grip the tap barrel to stop it twisting. (When I changed the other barrel it was very tight)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The hot (on the left) turns anticlockwise to turn it ON and the cold clockwise ON. This feels wrong to her (and to me). I would expect them to work the opposite way.

Taps do all sorts depending on the make. You might be able to swap the taps and the colours if you prefer them that way round. Doubt there's an expert here, suggest you try mnfr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back