Strange things happening with grouting

No, of course I didn't pay someone to tile like this. Please read my original thread before throwing in comments. This is part of the small area I regrouted after water pressure/mould problems, and a plumber doing a disappearing act. It also shows an area that I scraped out in preparation for regrouting again. Although i realised this was a bit fruitless as I haven't got to the problem of what is causing the discolouring. The brown staining is what happened when water came into contact with the new grouting.
Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
i did read it but missed that it was the plumber, i for one am happy that plumbers double up as tilers, it is for me a nice earner rectifying mistakes made by the "handy" men that tell customers that they can do all. :LOL:

If you scrape just a mm or so of the stained grout - is the material it exposes underneath clean and free of any staining ?

It looks like something leeching through from behind the adhesive / grout, but that doesn't seem to fit with the symptoms you've described.

What type of Grout (brand and product) have you used?

It's either being passed from behind the grout, being applied to the face (through cleaners, or some other form of contact) or a reaction within the grout itself.

There could of course simply be a very large rusty nail head behind the tile, which would also explain the somewhat less than flat tile mounting :)

If I scrape a mm or so off, the grouting is white underneath, though I do sort of think that there is some sort of leeching, although can't find any dampness with tissues etc.
I think the way forward is probably to remove this section of tiles and see what's underneath.
I used a powered recommended for mosaics and showers grout from B&Q (sorry, had no idea then about what makes to use as I'm not a professional).
For the record, the tiling was done by a professional tiler who works with him, though they both did the grouting.

Sponsored Links
No, of course I didn't pay someone to tile like this. Please read my original thread before throwing in comments.
We had our bathroom tiled last year with medium sized mosaic tiles.
For the record, the tiling was done by a professional tiler who works with him, though they both did the grouting.
Wonder where I got the idea that you paid someone to tile for you? :rolleyes:

You come on here, give little to know information. Say you can't post a pic, then suddenly you can. Then get a bit shirty when asked a question. I wish you good luck with your problem.

I also wish you luck with your problems of poor spelling and spending a great deal of time nit-picking and being sarcastic on a forum with someone you don't even know.
I came in here asking for advice, and thanks to those who took the time to give it. I feel a bit sorry for the other posters, and hope that you continue to enjoy each others rather sad company.

Jesus Christ. Let's just remember who gave up their time to try to help who here! I got an inkling as to the kind of person you were after your first few posts. I'm sorry to say you haven't improved as yet.
Poor spelling? I'm not perfect and I do drink a bit, but please point me in the direction of my failing and I'll be pleased to take it on board.

Looks like there are 2/3 different grouts in use there to me?

I think there are 2 main possibilities:

1) B & Q / Unibond grouts are not good in shower areas no matter what the packaging says. As a pro tiler I would not use them - ever. From experience they have a nasty habit of staining (particularly red) with soaps and shampoos.

2) As gcol suggested, there could well be moisture / mould leeching through from the background. Do the tiles pop off easily? If so this would confirm that you'd be best taking the lot off and getting a professional in to tank the area and re-tile.

I'm also going to throw in a 3rd possibility: Looking at the standard of the the tiling in the posted picture - goodness only knows how and with what the tiles have been fixed!!! :eek: (i know you say this is only a repair patch, but IF this is representative of the entire shower area, I'm really not surprised that you are experiencing problems of ANY kind!!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back