Strange Wiring Fault Causing RCD To Trip

After we have discounted the reversed conductors, then (and trying to apply occams razor here), how about an open circuit neutral, 'back-fed' by a neutral->earth fault after the break

Sponsored Links
Rice

I've been using a Class II table lamp and it trips only when the socket & light is switched on.

RMS

Can see where you're going here, ie the introduction of a load at a point on a circuit can flag up a fault elsewhere, but surely, with all these circuits on the split side RCD-protected, can you explain why other loads introduced on this side of the board don't trip the device?

Even though I have nearly 20 years experience in the trade, I have managed to avoid this problem until now!!

Adam_151 said:
After we have discounted the reversed conductors, then (and trying to apply occams razor here), how about an open circuit neutral, 'back-fed' by a neutral->earth fault after the break

Oooh, that's lateral thinking!

When are looking at it again????

P.s You've been in the trade for about the same as me (19 years this year)

Sponsored Links
Hmmmm unless ive missed it ......
Did you try a new socket faceplate just to discount the fact the old plate is buggered?

a friend had a fault like this one socket threw rcd trip when a socket was switched o sometimes not always might go a month then prob it was bad insulation on a live wire touching earth on back of socket you could just see where it had sparked on earth o back of socket. strange but it didnt always throw trip depended on load

If it is a N-E fault on that particular circuit then i don't think other individual circuits protected by the RCD would cause it to trip.

Although i'm sure i have been to jobs in the past where this has happened. Maybe someone else can explain this as i am not entirely sure.

The only way to tackle this sort of fault is with an insulation resistance tester and a bit of patience.

festa said:
Hmmmm unless ive missed it ......
Did you try a new socket faceplate just to discount the fact the old plate is b*****r?

Yup. And replaced the RCD (cos it failed 5x), but neither made any difference.

Ricicle...20 years in September. Old F@rt that I am!!

In that case my money is on either a faulty JB under a floor board or poor insulation in which case that super duper `megger` is gonna flash a bad result at you :cry:

Would be only too pleased if it did!

Ricicle, I go back on Mondberg.

Ha, ha!

It was the neutral shorting onto the wrong side of the board....

Experience has taught me never to listen to customers. Thay talk complete bolix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back