Streaky ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently had newly skimmed kitchen and living room ceilings. The kitchen ceiling I painted with an initial coat of Johnstone’s contract and then a couple of coats of Dulux. The finish is nice with no streaking...

A few months later I have come to do my living room and I used Leyland trade contract matt. I didn’t do a mist coat but thought it would be fine given the kitchen turned out well. A couple of coats later, and I’m not happy with the finish. It could be worse I suppose but plenty of streaks and gaps where the roller wasn’t evenly loaded by the looks of it.

I’m wondering what I can do to fix this now. Should I get a sanding pole and go over it all gently to even it out, and then perhaps add a bit of water (10-15%?) to the Leyland paint and make sure I’m giving the whole thing a single even coat? It seems like pretty thick paint straight out of the tub. Or should I give it a sand and a final coat with the Dulux? Not that I’m suggesting one is inferior to the other, but it gave me good results in the kitchen.

I dont think my technique is helping but I guess certain paints can be a bit more forgiving? Wall paint went on fine...

Attachments

• 0D915E03-C330-438F-8E2F-027C932F3E4B.jpeg
    0D915E03-C330-438F-8E2F-027C932F3E4B.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Can you live with it? It will drive you bonkers trying to get it right. I was up at 5am doing my ceilings to try and get them right before work etc lol.

Light plays a big factor as well, I have paint in directions mostly only visible in real high intense sunlight.

I used Harris fine finish roller that helped me get a decent coat.

I think a lot of the challenge for us DIY'ers is getting paint the same consistency for every set of paint for a roller and pressure.

Can you live with it? It will drive you bonkers trying to get it right. I was up at 5am doing my ceilings to try and get them right before work etc lol.

Light plays a big factor as well, I have paint in directions mostly only visible in real high intense sunlight.

I used Harris fine finish roller that helped me get a decent coat.

I think a lot of the challenge for us DIY'ers is getting paint the same consistency for every set of paint for a roller and pressure.

It doesn’t look great to be honest, I don’t need it to be perfect but it can be better. I’m going to get a thicker roller at the weekend and some Dulux and give it another coat. Trying not to be too anal about it, it’s really not the best though!

You sure its a thicker roller you need?

Also are the ceilings skimmed with new PB or Artex?

Sponsored Links
I assumed thinner roller would give better finish with matt paints.

I always used Dulux matt for ceilings myself, there is a super matt on the market apparently good.

The issue is, I think, I’m not getting enough paint on the roller, so I have been told a thicker roller will carry more paint. That said any roller will need to be properly loaded I suppose. To be honest, I think it’s down to the paint more than anything, will give it a go with some Dulux and let you know!

I've been using armstead contract matt on ceilings recently and it does a pretty good job at ~half the price of Dulux super matt.

I second the Wooster sleeves.

Their 9 inch rollers are extremely noisy though. Good but have one hell of a squeak.

I tend to buy the Purdy roller frames instead, they work better with the Purdy extension poles, i.e. you don't need to screw them one, you can just push them on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back