Streaky satinwood

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, I'm going mad with this.

I'm trying to paint all the woodwork on the stairs with white satinwood paint but no matter what I do it ends up with dark streaks in it.

The wood was new pine (untreated) painted with two coats of white stain and knot blocking primer. I'm up to 5(!) coats of dulux quick dry satinwood and can't get rid of these darker streaks. We went with the quick dry because we have a toddler and a dog and can't prevent them using the stairs for the length of time it takes to dry. It also looked fine on the skirting with 2 coats (although that was pre-primed mdf)

The last two coats have been thinned down with water on the recommendation of a friend to allow it to flow better.

It looks fine when wet but goes funny when dry.

Its taking me 3 hours per coat at the minute and the thought of having to do another one is making me despair

. IMG_6067.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Rather than re-coating the whole lot, why not do just a small area, and see if it makes any difference.

If not, it possibly will never get any better with that product, and you may have to think about another product.

These water-based interior finishes are often rubbish.

You thin the paint down then complain of non-coverage?

I have used dulux water satin wood and the coverage is extremely good. It is thick enough to act like a filler. I normally paint after priming, which creates coverage.

I think you need to give it a good sand down and apply a coat of zinsser b.i.n.
Then a light sanding and it should then cover with two top coats of satin.
I use a lot of water based satin for my customers and for economy customers I often use Leyland trade fast drying satin. Currently £25 for 2.5 litres in toolstation. However lately I have 5 litres of dulux trade diamond satin left over from a job and that is brilliant stuff although about 80 quid for 5 litres.
The thing when applying satin is to get it on and try not to over work it. You can add a little drop of water if it's a really hot day but only enough to make it flow. Too much and it will be too thin.

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Sponsored Links
I think you need to give it a good sand down and apply a coat of zinsser b.i.n.
Then a light sanding and it should then cover with two top coats of satin.
I use a lot of water based satin for my customers and for economy customers I often use Leyland trade fast drying satin. Currently £25 for 2.5 litres in toolstation. However lately I have 5 litres of dulux trade diamond satin left over from a job and that is brilliant stuff although about 80 quid for 5 litres.
The thing when applying satin is to get it on and try not to over work it. You can add a little drop of water if it's a really hot day but only enough to make it flow. Too much and it will be too thin.

Yesterday on the recommendation of a local Facebook group I bought some Crown Fast Flow and did a test patch overnight. It's harder to use but looks a lot better.

I've just painted all the woodwork again and it looks to have passed the wife test (even if I did realise I'd missed a bit after tidying everything up).

The last two coats have been thinned down with water on the recommendation of a friend to allow it to flow better.

A better option is to use Floetrol. It reduces tramlines (brushmarks) and helps you to maintain a wet edge. Unlike water, it doesn't dilute the paint.

It isn't cheap but it goes a long way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back