Street lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the early 70's I worked around Leeds erecting Street lighting. The Poles would already be in position, so we would just slip the lighting unit onto the pole and tighten it up. We didn't have hydraulic lifts like today. I seem to remember it worked on cog wheels. On the back of the lorry, there was the small working cradle, sitting inside a bigger cradle, which sat inside a bigger one, which also sat inside a bigger one. And they would go up one at a time till it was fully extended. Does anybody know what they were called?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a Leyland Tower Wagon.

They also had one for the tramway.

One of these maybe?
1659477704010.png

This is an AC but I think the lorry that did the local trolly bus cables was a Foden. I dare say others were made.

Are you sure the sections went up independantly? I'd imagine similtaneously would be easier to construct.

You are correct, here it is partially extended:
1659478171660.png

Sponsored Links
1659478359742.png

Not all Horse power is combustion engine derived
1659478483598.png

or Battery powered too
1659478249619.png

Last edited:
Thank you...Something similar, same principle.....but our's didn't have a platform, just the small box.

Terrified, on busy roads in winter.....didn't stay long....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back