Modern CFL Street lights really that efficient?

When i lived in cleveleys the council made all the residential streets 20mph zones, but didnt use any traffic calming measures.

Here in Glenrothes however, the residential streets are 20mph but theres those ****ing annoying humps that dont span the whole lane and like to smash my exhaust all round the estate.

I had originally thought that 20mph zones required calming measures, but evidently not!

Sponsored Links
When i lived in cleveleys the council made all the residential streets 20mph zones, but didnt use any traffic calming measures.
I believe that is the wrong approach.

Here in Glenrothes however, the residential streets are 20mph but theres those **** annoying humps that dont span the whole lane and like to smash my exhaust all round the estate.
That's because you try to straddle them to minimise their effect. If you drive over them so that one side of the car rides up over them you'll have no problems with your exhaust. Your choice.

I had originally thought that 20mph zones required calming measures, but evidently not!
I think it's "required" as in guidance rather than explicit regulations.

FYI - if they really want traffic calming to work, gullies built at a diagonal angle across the road are far more effective than humps.

Yeh exactly, you end up having to move over half way into the other lane (bearing in mind these are narrow residential streets), such that the car actually rises up and doesnt smash the exhaust, but that could hardly be viewed as "safe" and doesnt work when theres oncoming traffic or parked cars! And ofcourse they're sized such that white van man, buses and trucks can still blast down the road at full speed without a care in the world due to their wider axles.

Seems the difference is between a 20mph speed limit and a 20mph "zone". A speed limit needs no traffic calming, but does need repeater signs at regular intervals. A "zone" needs no repeaters but must be self-regulating by use of traffic calming ****e. The regulations seem to stipulate where you should use a limit and where you should use a zone too.

The local dump and a few local macdonalds have fitted plastic "Sleeping policemen" type bumps which are so tall with such an aggressive ramp angle that i have to crawl over them and inch off doing literally 1mph because otherwise i smash the floor of the car off them.

I stopped and got out one day to have a look, and with the car simply parked over the bump, there was approx 5mm between the front subframe and the top of the bump. I could understand if i were driving some "slammed" chav-mobile, rather than a standard saloon car (albeit one equipped with factory sport suspension). I should really enquire as to wether they're actually legal, instead i just avoid mcdonalds and visit the dump as infrequently as possible.

Sponsored Links
And ofcourse they're sized such that white van man, buses and trucks can still blast down the road at full speed without a care in the world due to their wider axles.

E61 5-series goes over them without any bump if you aim well

Here in Glenrothes however, the residential streets are 20mph but theres those **** annoying humps that dont span the whole lane and like to smash my exhaust all round the estate.

I gave the link http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_limit_signs.htm#lighting saying how it is a requirement but today I saw the first few 20 signs at schools.

I have looked on the Gov website and I can't find this sign. At least not in those colours. Because it's not a proper road sign it does not have any cancel sign all you see is back of sign for other direction.

Yeh exactly, you end up having to move over half way into the other lane (bearing in mind these are narrow residential streets), such that the car actually rises up and doesnt smash the exhaust, but that could hardly be viewed as "safe"
See below.

I should really enquire as to wether they're actually legal,
I've wondered that.

I have thought that if I won oodles on the lottery and could afford it, I might try taking the council to court. Fair enough to have traffic "calming" measures to help enforce the speed limit, but if you are allowed to do 30mph on a road then you are allowed to do 30mph. Unavoidable things which stop you such as sharp bends, junctions, weather conditions etc are one thing, but for a council to deliberately make it dangerous and damaging to people's vehicles to drive at the posted speed limit ought not to be allowed.

rant.gif

If they want people to do 20mph then make the speed limit 20mph, don't say to drivers, in effect, "the speed limit is 30mph but we have deliberately put things on the road to stop you actually driving at that speed, and if you do you will damage your car".
rant.gif

instead i just avoid mcdonalds
So the humps aren't all bad then.

and visit the dump as infrequently as possible.
I used to use a dump which also had those vicious yellow & black plastic jobbies.

They only had them on one side of the road, to slow down traffic heading towards the yard with the containers. You hardly needed to be a Mastermind candidate to twig that if nobody was coming the other way you could just pull across...

No council wants to be in the news because some clever chap has found his speeding ticket is invalid specially if that means a 100 or so caught before that case are now also invalid so points need removing off licence and money refunding.

the police deal with speeding not the council as far as i know ??

No council wants to be in the news because some clever chap has found his speeding ticket is invalid specially if that means a 100 or so caught before that case are now also invalid so points need removing off licence and money refunding.
the police deal with speeding not the council as far as i know ??
Indeed they do - but I think eric's point is that council's don't want to be in the position that their failures in relation to lighting/signage had been the technicalities enabling people 'wriggling out' of speeding tickets issued by police (or speeding prosecutions instigated by police).

Kind Regards, John

Hi, all. Just thought i would share some pictures of my street lights.

The Specs are:

Manufacture: Philips Indal WRTL
Model: LIBP55/GRN/6M/SURPFI (Libra 55)
Power: 240v / 50Hz 0.3A
Height: 6 Meters
IP Rating: IP66
Bulb Watatge: 55W
Colour temperature: 4000K
Lumens: 4800
Lumens per watt: 87.27

For detailed bulb info, see here: http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4b/9/927908708431_eu/927908708431_eu_pss_aenaa.pdf

Pictures:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back