Strengthen a wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old garage wall that has shown signs of movement (cracks in brickwork) over the past 20 or so years.

I don't want to knock it down and rebuild, but I was wondering how I could strength it ?

Is some sort of steel reinforcemnt available ?

Kind Regards,

Sponsored Links
Normally best to stop the cause of the cracking then repair the brickwork after things have stopped moving.

A 25 foot tree has been the cause in the past and I imagine it's moved the base that the garage sits on.
It's on council land however and I think people might get a bit annoyed if I get the chain saw on it. :)

As it's a garage it doesn't have to be great and that's why I'm having a crack myself.
I am thinking of building an inner block wall and tying it to the existsing wallregardless, but wanted the existing wall a bit stronger before I do so.

Thanks for your reply.

fix sheets of expanded metal lathing (eml) to the wall and give the wall a scratch coat of sand and cement let it dry and give it a top coat this will strengthen the wall ;)

Sponsored Links
may be worth having a chat with the council about it as well to see if any work can be done to the tree by them to prevent further damage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back