Strengthening / reinforcing new brickwork garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My block garden wall is unstable. As a result I am having it knocked down and rebuilt. I want to reinforce it properly to ensure this time it is sound.

Would something like this every other horizontal and vertical mortor run help or is there anything better I can use? Also is the second link suitable to connect the rebuilt wall to my house to guarantee strength?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...2797/Galvanised+Reinforcement+Coil+20m/p18233

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85866

I have
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2851.JPG
    IMG_2851.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
The problem is that the foundations are not stable or at least have moved since the wall was built. So it could be excessive ground water washing away/softening the subsoil or your garden soil loading the side of the wall.
So to rebuild it properly, you need to re-do the foundations. Once the cause has been found then a solution could be examined.
Frank

Hi. Thanks that sounds good advice. I can do that. There are 2 trees on the inside. 1 is dead, the other I will get rid of the same time as re-building so hopefully that will resolve that as the "root" cause.

When rebuiding how can I ensure the wall is as strong with the reinforcing. I want to do this once and have no other issues.

The galvanized expamet is no use, and will eventually cause problems.

Over time, cement mortar loses its alkalinity and gradually becomes slightly acidic. This attacks the
galvanising, and the steel rust, causing expansion problems.

Reinforced masonry is best done with stainless steel - Ancon do ladder frames to suit various thicknesses of wall.

But reinforcement should not normally be necessary for a wall such as that. It may be too thin; it is not bonded properly; or as above you might have a foundation problem.

Sponsored Links
Great thanks. I have purchased the wall ladders and will sort foundations out. Thanks to you both for your advice. Appreciate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back