Stretched Vinyl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not even sure if the title "Stretched Vinyl" is correct.
We have a small home office, it had laminate flooring and about 6 months ago we got vinyl laid in the hall, bathroom and the office.
I am not heavy (11 stone) but the vinyl under where I sit on on office chair, the type of chair with 5 wheels, has rucked up slightly. I can't sit still and not move my chair so need help.
I'm thinking of buying a mat to protect the vinyl from more damage, something like this.
Under the vinyl is laminate and I wonder if I can glue the vinyl to the laminate to get rid of the waves.

Sponsored Links
Did you lift the laminate in the hall and the bathroom but leave it down in the office?
What kind/make of sheet vinyl are you referring to?
How was the vinyl laid - complete stick down, perimeter stick down or loose lay flopped down?

What is under the office laminate - floor boards or ply etc?
Laying vinyl onto the laminate was a bad idea - dont make it worse by doing any gluing (or any further gluing).

Did you lift the laminate in the hall and the bathroom but leave it down in the office?
What kind/make of sheet vinyl are you referring to?
How was the vinyl laid - complete stick down, perimeter stick down or loose lay flopped down?

What is under the office laminate - floor boards or ply etc?
Laying vinyl onto the laminate was a bad idea - dont make it worse by doing any gluing (or any further gluing).

Thanks Vinn,
In the other rooms there was carpet and I laid 12mm plywood screwed down at 150mm centres onto the floorboards.
In the office the laminate is laid in a thick "under-felt" and it is impossible to lift it as there are shelving units standing on it which are also attached to the walls. We thought vinyl would be good in the hall and bathroom, and it is great in those areas. It looks good in the office but the rolling wheels has stretched it. I could lay 6mm ply over the laminate and then vinyl over that if it would work.
The vinyl in the office, hall and bathroom is laid with only the edges and joins glued. I am unsure of the make of vinyl.

Well the arrangement you have now is not working, and will probably get worse with the vinyl eventually ripping.
Could you post pics of where the shelving units are trapping the floor coverings?
Does the laminate stop at the skirting or run under it?
What about the door threshold fixing, and FFL height with the next room?

Sponsored Links
Well the arrangement you have now is not working, and will probably get worse with the vinyl eventually ripping.
Could you post pics of where the shelving units are trapping the floor coverings?
Does the laminate stop at the skirting or run under it?
What about the door threshold fixing, and FFL height with the next room?

The shelving units were in place before the vinyl so it is cut round them. There is a step up into the office of about 5mm The vinyl does not go under the skirting.

Attachments

• vinyl.jpg
    vinyl.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 119
I've seen a rolling chair cause trouble when the wheels are pushing on the vinyl more than the subfloor grips it. In this case it was a chair with a sticking castor. Ordinary chairs and tables didn't have this effect.

I don't believe you can fix it.

As a last resort you could try a hot-air gun on the vinyl to see if it will soften and shrink back.

With all those abutments its difficult to see a simple solution - unless its only the cabinet thats firmly fixed with the other furniture simply freestanding in place?
Could the room be easily cleared except for the shelving unit in the pic? Is there more than one shelving unit?

Given its only perimeter stuck down then you could perhaps ease the vinyl sheets up with a hot spatula type of scraper (it will cut the adhesive) and then spread adhesive in stages for a full stick down.
But there's no guarantee that the sheets have not already distorted or will not distort as they are lifted?

With all those abutments its difficult to see a simple solution - unless its only the cabinet thats firmly fixed with the other furniture simply freestanding in place?
Could the room be easily cleared except for the shelving unit in the pic? Is there more than one shelving unit?

Given its only perimeter stuck down then you could perhaps ease the vinyl sheets up with a hot spatula type of scraper (it will cut the adhesive) and then spread adhesive in stages for a full stick down.
But there's no guarantee that the sheets have not already distorted or will not distort as they are lifted?
Thanks Vinn, It is an odd shaped room but I'll see what I can do, your ideas seem good to me, if I get it stuck down I'll protect it with a mat to stop further damage.
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back