Wheelchair Friendly Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need guidance on what kind of flooring to put down that can withstand the everyday use of an electric wheelchair. Not only is weight an issue (chair with me in it weighs about 450 lbs), but we have already seen how the wheels grab & stretch our current carpet when I turn sharply or cut the wheels hard to get up to a table, etc. We have been told not to use tile squares -- the chair will pull them apart. We're told sheet vinyl will stretch & tear. Is laminate flooring an option? Is there any carpeting that can stand up to the electric wheelchair? We have only particle board under our carpeting, which we are told might keep us from using tile glues. HELP! We need to do living room, dining room & kitchen.

Sponsored Links
my thoughts.

laminated floor will be cheaper, but it depends how good you are at a 3 point turn, you may leave tyre marks on it

tiles will be better, but each tile must be thick (as opposed to too thin) but must have 100% "glue" under it, otherwise if your tyre hits an "empty spot" it may break

as for will tiles be ok, what does your local shopping mall have for a floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back