Parquet floor finish, wheely heavy use..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently revamping a parquet floor in our hall/dinning room but am having some trouble finnishing it.

I have sanded and prepped it using tips I found on here (thanks to all contributers!) and have applied 1 coat of colron natural beeswax and 2 coats of colron finishing wax.

My sister is dissabled and uses an electric wheelchair which is pretty hefty and has a special arm chair both of which get wheeled accross the floor on a regular basis (access to her room is through the dinning room) and so far she's leaving marks wherever she goes!

Would further coats of the finishing wax combat this problem or is this simply not durable enough a finnish for our requirements?

Its also been suggested that a buffer/polisher could help seal the wax after another coat or two and give the protection we need but I thought I'd put it to the experts before going to the expence of getting one in.

Sponsored Links
Use the buffer now, before applying any more coats. The wax needs time to be absorbed in the wood, buffing will help speed up this process - adding more coats will delay it!

Hi WoodYouLike, hoped this would get your attention, picked up several tips from your website before I started!

Must admit, re-read the instructions on the finishing wax last night and saw that I should've been going over it with wire wool after each coat :oops:
Is that where i've gone wrong? The chair is taking off the excess instead of the wire wool? If I do this and invest in a buffer to maintain it, you think the wax will be a suitable finish?

Thanks for your reply, sorry I didnt read the instuctions before I started! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
wax is a suitable finish, if you accept how it works. Meaning, fresh coats can give scuff marks in the beginning.
Our experience (and many of our clients) is that a 7 kg cast-iron buffing block instead of a standard household buffing machine works much better (and eco-friendlier).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back