Best finish for Teak Parquet/Block flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm about to restore ~ 25m2 of Teak Block/Parquet flooring that's spent the last 50 yrs of its life under carpet.

I'm happy with the sanding/filling but have conflicting views about what I should finish it with. Having a look on these forums Hard Wax oil gets the thumbs up but the people I've had out to look so far have suggested

1. 3 coats of varnish (prob need re varnish every 2 years)
2. 2 coats of solvent based lacquer (prob need re coat every 5 years and apparently easy to repair individual areas.
3. Hard wax oil (Need re coat every year)

I don't want a glossy finish and would like the floor to look as natural as possible without it being ruined by a few ale spillages!
If anyone has any experiences of these finishes and can recommend one it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Sponsored Links
3. Hard wax oil (Need re coat every year)

Cheers
Chris
Now who's been telling you porkies????
HardWaxOil does NOT need to be recoated every year! What it needs and what every floor, no matter what type of finish you apply to it, is applying a maintenance product, like a liquid polish once every 5 to 6 months. It's as easy and practical as that!

And this guide might come in handy for your too - no porkies there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back