stripping and repainting door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our internal kitchen door had about 1mm paint (well, not quite) flaking off revealing wood stain and/or varnish. OK so I got out the old electric paint stripper and taken the paint off both sides. The stain dissolves in meths. While I am OK using Zinsters over the wood stain, it is the other side of the door that puzzles me:

The top layer of paint blisters but the bottom layer just softens. If the paint is just warm, it peals off taking some of the bottom layer. Am I uncovering emulsion paint?

Anyway, I can get most of this paint off to reveal the grain. What next?

Sponsored Links
Try meths and steel wool. It's usually an old shellac based varnish who's name I can't remember.

Think your refering to "Scumble" this was used to figure grain painted surfaces to look like real wood. Very sticky when it comes off.

Think your referring to "Scumble". This was used to figure grain painted surfaces to look like real wood. Very sticky when it comes off.
Thanks, I still think it might be a cream emulsion though - no evidence of graining. As I say, once the top gloss layer is warm enough just to be flexible, I can peel it off. What comes off on the back of the paint looks like emulsion.

Do I just scrape and sand off the worst, leaving some old paint in the grain, then re-prime?

Sponsored Links
Hi ajrobb

If it water based as you say try hoy soapy water a scrubbing brush and some elbow grease, if that fails let it dry and try some liquid paint stripper.

If that doesn't shift it get a good palm sander (a great tool) on it with the roughest sandpaper making sure you stay with the grain, then sand it down with a fine sandpaper, a good dusting with your dust brush a coat of primer, which is just undercoat let down with a little white spirits, don't go buying any, and because you've gone right down to the bare wood two coats of undercoat then your top coat.

Next time take the door off and have it dipped.

One litre of meths and wire wool and the door is nearly ready. The cream coat DID dissolve in the meths so may have been shellac based (like Zinsser BIN). The varnish also dissolved in meths.

The previous owners had changed the door handles and the plates were smaller than before, leaving indents in the paint. The middle of the door has a groove where is was bashed with an adjacent cupboard door handle (now gone), so needs filling.

Now to start with the primer, Swedish putty, undercoat and topcoat...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back