Stripping paint from my front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following advice offered in a different thread I got Starchem systrip and used to to strip the paint from my front door. It's a four-panel hardwood door with glass at the top. It didn't really work and most of the paint didn't come off. I had some Nitromors at home so I used it and it was much better but far from impressive. Can anyone recommend an effective and relatively easy way of completing the job?

Sponsored Links
A heat gun is the most effective way, you have to shield the glass though. Notromors is rubbish.

A heat gun is the most effective way, you have to shield the glass though. Notromors is rubbish.
Thanks. I have a gas torch but no heat gun. Can I use that instead? How do I shield the glass?

Far better with a heat gun. I use a broad bladed scraper to shield the glass, but keep the heat moving and don't let it build up in one place for too long !!

Sponsored Links
i used a heat gun on all my olde worlde architraves. Brilliant job, sanded them afterwards to get rid of nobbly bits.

Nitromors is utterly useless.

I did however, buy some Starchem Synstrip to get the paint off my stairs. I will let you know how that goes. it's supposed to be $h!t hot.

I did however, buy some Starchem Synstrip to get the paint off my stairs. I will let you know how that goes. it's supposed to be $h!t hot.
Yah, I got some Starchem Synstrip too assuming it's **** hot. It turns out it's more **** than **** hot :eek:

i've read a lot of positive reviews on this stuff, yours is the first negative review.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back