Stripping door paint and priming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5 doors removed from the hinges for repainting. The doors have what looks like years and years of paint on them which has yellowed. I gave one of the doors a good sand down by hand before painting it with a water based satin… this stuff

http://www.diy.com/departments/dulu...iant-white-emulsion-paint-750ml/233878_BQ.prd

The paint went on fairly well and looked good but I noticed that on trying to refit the door that I had scratched it in a few places.
These scratches can be peeled up and it is possible to literally peel of very large sections of the new paint. Needless to say I didn’t fully refit the door.

I don’t know what type of paint is underneath and how many layers there are so I’m now planning to strip the door back to the wood, prime and then paint using the paint above

Regarding stripping the door, I wanted to see if using a belt sander is an effective and accepted method to strip the door quickly? ( I would have 5 doors to strip)

There is the other option of getting the doors dipped and neutralised but that involves the hassle and extra time of delivering the doors to and from the dipping place plus I don’t have the space in my car to take all.

Also can anyone recommend a good primer to use once the doors get stripped?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Belt sanding many years of old (probably oil based) could be very messy, (you will probably get the belts gunked up very quickly). It is also a slow, energy intense way of doing the job as sanding layers of paint is not easy.

Are they just plain doors, or are there detailed mouldings as well? It will also create a lot of nasty dust. It is a sledgehammer to crack a nut option. You may also end up sanding the door in an un-even way (depending how deft you are with a belt sander).

The usual quick options are dipping, which can be very easy. Many places collect and drop off the doors and they can be done for a very good price without you having to lift a finger. My neighbour got their 1930 internal doors done recently and they were all back within a few days looking great.

The other method is a chemical peel. Modern peels work slower so you have to dab on the peeler, leave it for a good few hours if not 24. Then it just scrapes off in one go.

there is basic a rectangular molding detail on the doors but pattern/arrangement would not impede the use of a belt sander.
Id be sanding them outside also in order to not get dust everywhere.

Ill check out the dipping options and see what i can get done.

It goes against my grain ( :p ) to have doors dipped and stripped but I recently had 4 done.....all had many coats of oil paint over the years.
After spending at least a day doing one for myself with a sander, I'm wondering why I didn't have them done before. 3 were solid doors, one had 15 glass panes....I took the locks off but left the hinges.
£30 per door (Newcastle).
John :)

Sponsored Links
Got a quote for 40 quid per door and the said I can leave the hinges on as that all gets sorted out in the process.

Seems reasonable and who knows.... The doors might even look half decent in their natural wood finish with a bit of a rub down and a varnish.

I found the expected raised grain, some missing filler from the original manufacturing (1930s) and the odd mark or two.
A few minutes with a sander and car body filler and they were ready for primer. They weren't good enough to hang bare, but in my case they wouldn't have been that good when new.
I'd happily do the same for any solid door now. and any glass / putty etc isn't affected.
John :)

Another option im considering is not to strip the doors completely…..instead I was thinking of giving them a good sanding down but not right back to bare wood, then painting them with a primer such as this.
http://www.diy.com/departments/dulux-multi-surface-white-primer-undercoat-25l/127694_BQ.prd

Then paint over the primer with my water based top coat.

Before I go and buy a tin of primer any opinions/suggestions as to whether this would be a good idea or not?

It depends on how many layers are on the doors already. After a decades of being painted you may have quite a thick layer of paint. This can ruin the look or reduce the effect of any detailing on the doors.

It may be nice to "do it properly" and get the old layers off. However, if it is just a few thin layers, and nothing is peeling off already, you can sand, spot prime the bare wood (the paint you use may be self priming) and re-paint.

So, in the end it is up to you (in terms of how happy you are with how it looks) and your bugdet.

Why not try it on one door and see how it looks? Just ensure the paint you use can be painted on existing layers of (probably oil based) paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back