Stripping doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of stripping the internal doors for my house. They are the original 1887 doors. They have the original varnish followed by an old white gloss. I wish to keep them pine.

I've removed the paint from one door all with a heat gun, then took the belt sander to it to give it a good finish but the sander belt is getting clogged from the surface residue on the door.

I've avoided dipping because I've heard the doors can warp and crack.. is dipping the only sensible option for a good finish?

Much appreciated

CoXen

Sponsored Links
Well dipping the doors will be both easier and more effective yet the joints could open up, difficult to say really.

Dec

Dipping is great as it gets every bit of paint off all the mouldings. Having said that it also takes all the glue out of the joints aswell. It can weaken the door also. Still the best option for a great job.

if you dip, you risk the chance of ruining the door for ever. With dipping they will most likely be using a water based paint stripper. You can use the same stuff and do it by hand, its a messy and long job but is a safe process. As a guide, it will take you about half a day if not more to hand strip one side of a period panelled door this way depending on how many panels/ mouldings etc.

May be worth enquiring at a paint stripping firm and see if they can strip without immersing the door. I think some people use the stripper and a pressure washer to fetch the softened finish off which is a lot kinder than tanking...

Sponsored Links
thanks for your response guys.

I've been stripping it by hand. I plan to do this then try and take this residue off with something else before sanding to avoid dipping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back