Painting External Door - Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I have external storm doors on my Victorian terraced house. These are some kind of wood (no idea which)

They are currently varnished, although there's very little of this left.

So, before the weather gets any worse I need to strip it and paint it. However, I've never sanded, prepared and painted a door, never mind an external door, so I don't know the products/methods I should use.

I'm guessing it'll be something like:

1. Sand down to clean wood. Belt sander ok for the big flat bits?
2. Prime? (with what)
3. Light sand
4. Paint with external paint (I'd like a period matt/chalky look - you know the Farrow and Ball style)
5. Anything else?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Farrow& Ball 'chalky look' paint wont stand up to the elements for long !
Use Weathershield, Stronghold or another branded exterior undercoat & gloss.
Youll need to sand back to a solid/stable base, not necessarily back to bare wood..Presuming some bare wood will be revealed though youll need to use a solvent-based primer first followed by an undercoat matched to suit your colour of topcoat(s). ie. Grey for dark colours black,deep blues/greens, or the recommended undercoat tint for brighter colours as these are usually mixed in a deep or neutral base so tend to be on the transparent side - almost like a heavy glaze.[/i]

take it off its hinges and do the bottom.

Most forget to do this & thats where it can soak up water from.
(afaik)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

When I said Farrow and Ball I meant the look, not the brand. I'd prefer not to have a gloss finish. Can you get external eggshell?

Thanks again and good point about doing the bottom. I was planning on taking the doors off the hinges so will do the bottom but it's good to keep in mind all the same

Non of the big name brands do but I think Farrow & Ball produce an exterior eggshell paint, Ive never used it myself, I can guarantee it will be expensive though..Ask in Brewers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back