reassurance required… painting interior doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello. i'm going to be painting the internal doors here. the ones i have are varnished wood with about 15 glass panels 3x5.

i want to get rid of the wood look and paint them white.

i was thinking that i need to sand off the varnish, prime, and then paint with satin.

is that right?

also how much sanding will i need to do? will i need to remove all the varnish?

Sponsored Links
That sounds about right - the varnish needs to be completely flat and stable....no flaking areas etc.
If you are unsure about the stability of the varnish, have a look at the Zinsser primer range - there will be something suitable there.
John :)

The varnish doesnt need to come off completely, but you need to sand it enough to take the shine off and make it look flat. A good dusting off and a sugar soap wont do it any harm.

The varnish doesnt need to come off completely, but you need to sand it enough to take the shine off and make it look flat. A good dusting off and a sugar soap wont do it any harm.

Ah, excellent.

Another question I have. I have just seen a very old forum string where someone said that the areas that they sandpapered and put the satin straight over did not chip, whereas the areas that they used undercoat followed by satin did chip.

Is it better to use undercoat on the doors or not?

Sponsored Links
Most paint will only chip off previously stained wood if its not been sanded properly. Its all about providing a key for the next coat. I personally would use an undercoat, but an oil based one, then follow up with the top coats of your chosen finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back