Stripping woodwork - Banisters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped the layers of gloss off with a heat gun and then sanded (lightly) and then nitro-morsed it. My concern is that the wood still holds a fine white shade in areas, even after a further sanding. Any tips? It is going to be oiled/varnished (yet to decide) and I'm now considering a coloured varnish to deal with this colour issue, but i'd rather it be clear or use oil. Any ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
I know what your talking about here...its very difficult to deal with, its either primer that has absorbed dep into the wood...or slurry.residue from the paintstripper.

Give it another saoking with the nitromors, leave it to work then instead of using the normal scraping action, put the blade agasit the surface and run it down it at 90 degrees

Then use one of those scrunched up wire scourers and hot water with a drop of washing up liquid in it, or white spirit on it own and scrub it...(in the direction of the grain)

Instead of a coloured varnish, try using an oil based wood dye with a drop of varnish in it to help make it got further..if might penetrate the white stain better

I know its a bit late in the day...but personally id rather replace the spindles..its certainly easier than stripping, quicker...and in some cases....cheaper too

Zampa said:
Give it another saoking with the nitromors, leave it to work then instead of using the normal scraping action, put the blade agasit the surface and run it down it at 90

Thanks to you both. I'll give it a go this weekend. I used some Danish oil on some new doors which worked really well, good on banisters too do you think?

Sponsored Links
I had the same thing on a fabulous old Victorian banister handrail - lovely old beech, it was. What worked for me was Nitromors worked in with steel wool, left to soak in, then scraped - or should I say shaved - off with a very sharp Stanley blade held at 90 degrees to the wood, removing a fine scraping of the wood as well. When all dry, spend the next 3 weeks rubbing down with finer and finer steel wool. Finished with 3 coats of clear satin varnish, rubbing down each in between. Looked and felt absolutely stunning when finished, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back