Stripping Victorian wooden banister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

We have started to strip decades worth of paint from our staircase banister. It's going to be a lengthy project and one that could end badly. So far, we have stripped a small section using a scraper and heat gun.

I have included pictures to see what people would advise next. Are there chemicals out there that will removed the ingrained paint? Would sanding down be the next step? Be interested to hear what may or may not work.

Ideally, once it's all stripped back to the original wood we'll varnish it and leave it in its natural colour.

See the attached pictures.

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• D1D71282-4C67-44E2-B9FB-91E6F7CFE881.jpeg
    D1D71282-4C67-44E2-B9FB-91E6F7CFE881.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 248
  • 26007F57-9EC8-4A80-B0FA-9D469F7C7A1D.jpeg
    26007F57-9EC8-4A80-B0FA-9D469F7C7A1D.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 88E4C9CE-441C-494A-87FC-364804581D02.jpeg
    88E4C9CE-441C-494A-87FC-364804581D02.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
gmd06, good evening.

That looks like a nice old bit of pitched pine, will clear up well.

You have done well so far, suggest you now consider using sandpaper.

My preference is to use actual sheets of sandpaper, added to foam pads, the pads assist in maintaining the curves and contours, a sanding machine can leave you with "flats" on the curves which can be felt especially on a handrail.

Ken.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that hand sanding may be better than machine.

I am thinking of replacing my scraper with a wire brush moving forwards as it'll be easier to get into the curvy bits.

I would be very, very wary of a wire brush, they tend to "raise" the grain of the timber.

Again my preferred method of getting into corners is a wood chisel, but not used as a normal chisel I use the chisel as a scraper, scraping towards myself and in the tightest of corners I have used a Stanley blade, again not in a cutting way but as a scraper, very carefully. try and get the edge of the blade into the corner.

If I come clean here, we had an old property, over one winter I cleaned paint and old varnish from a Lounge, skirting s, architraves, doors Etc. all the large Victorian style to reveal bare Yellow Pine finally using sand paper and odd shaped blocks, went on to do a stair, including ballisters, treads and risers. [note to self] get out more not at present though ???

Ken.

Sponsored Links
We are progressing slowly with this using the heat gun, scraper, wire brush and then sanding the aftermath. It's certainly not a quick job.

Wee bit worried now with the lead paint concern. We know that the top coat of paint was put on approximately 10-15 years ago so that won't be lead. Below that there was some wood effect brown coating that would have been applied in the 70s. We think that's all the coatings it has had. Why on earth anyone would want to cover lovely wood with wood effect coating is anyone's guess. See attached pic for what I mean. I also have a tester pot of the peelaway but not tried it yet.
IMG_6170.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back