Paint Stripping (poss. de-assemblying) staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I previously stripped the paint off the stairs of my previous Victorian house. I did it all in situ, using paint stripper, heat gun, sandpaper and lots and lots of time and graft!

Anyway, I’ve moved onto house no. 2 (again a Victorian house) and want to strip the whole of the stairs back to the wood.

The house is going to be slightly different as I will be doing allot of other renovation work (hacking back to bare walls, lifting floorboards etc), so I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to how to strip the paint off a whole of stairs (stairs, skirting board, newel post, banisters, balustrade etc).

* Are there any parts of the stair assembly that can be relatively easily removed (to be sent to be chemical dipped)?

* Any chemical paint stripper better than others?
* I’ve read about ‘peel-away’ / ‘klingstrip’ (poultice type) paint removers. Any comments?
* Anyone ‘gone hard-core’ and used caustic soda on internal wood parts?
* Also read about infra-red paint strippers. They’re pricey to buy, so are they worthwhile for fiddly stair parts?
* Any other advice so that I don’t have to go through the same graft in the previous house!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
I was wondering if there are any suggestions as to how to strip the paint off a whole of stairs (stairs, skirting board, newel post, banisters, balustrade etc).

* Are there any parts of the stair assembly that can be relatively easily removed (to be sent to be chemical dipped)?

Since posting this, I did some further research and started to do some stripping on the many layers of paint on the newel posts and bannisters. I got the point where I could see the dowels for the upper newel posts. These were drilled out and with a bit of gentle encouragement the upper newel post, banister and balustrades assembly came to pieces.
I have hacked off the plaster around the skirting board enough to get a pry bar in and easy the skirting board from the wall.
All these part will be sent to be chemical dipped.

I hope that this helps someone in the future.

* Any chemical paint stripper better than others?
* I’ve read about ‘peel-away’ / ‘klingstrip’ (poultice type) paint removers. Any comments?
* Anyone ‘gone hard-core’ and used caustic soda on internal wood parts?
* Also read about infra-red paint strippers. They’re pricey to buy, so are they worthwhile for fiddly stair parts?
* Any other advice so that I don’t have to go through the same graft in the previous house!
Can anyone comment on my other queries?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back