structural advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Quick and simple. Internal wall goes through my house and all joists are placed on this wall. All except one, which is shorter and has been placed on solid wall which makes what used to be old boiler or tank cabinet. It is also nailed to the beam that goes from the other side on the wall and is placed on internal wall, both joists overlap each other. I want to knock down old boiler cabinet cos I want more space. Is there a way of joining two floor joists together where only one rests on supporting wall, I mean some sort of steel C bracket or something or will I need to replace short beam with long one and place it on internal wall? There must be some kind of method to repair(joining) broken supportive beams, THX.

Sponsored Links
Pic not much help does not show which timber is supported and is very small.
There are various ways to join but need a better idea of current.

basically, right now both beams are supported by solid wall cylinder cabinet, but main solid internal wall is where you can just see some plaster coming through. So if I knock down tank cabinet only fat beam will be supported and the one on the right wont. Does it make it little simpler?
What I am thinking of now is to get new beam (3.7m) and secure it as you would normally do to solid walls, on both ends just like any other beams. Then I would use some heavy duty wood glue and heavy duty nails (on both sides, every 12 inches) to fix two beams together. In States they call it Sistering. Any help guys?

You could sister the timbers, or run a timber between the larger timber and adjacent joist then attach small timber to this cross member.
Timbers need bolting together for a secure job, nails are too insecure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back