replace or add additional joist next to rotted one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning,

I have just purchased a house, and while doing some work in the bathroom noticed that one of the 1st floor joists have more or less completely rotted away. It is closest to the outside wall, and is under the old bath tub.
The span is from an outside wall to internal wall - approx 7 foot between the two.

I don't see any weight on this particular joist other then floor boards (tub is resting on floor boards with the next and 3rd joist from the wall underneath).

The rot looks like its come from the old tub leaking water over many years (survey didn't pick this up :( )

Below the bathroom is the kitchen, where the ceiling in the corner has given slightly as a result of the rot.

Can i make a new hole/put a hanger in the main external wall, and run a length thought to the internal wall as a supportive measure next to the one that's rotted away or will the span have to go right through to the other side of the house - ie replace the full length for structural support?

Should i bolt the two together or just have them side by side as an additional joist between the existing two?

All walls are brick and are supporting walls at present.

Any views, input are welcome!

Not looking to carry out any major renovation at this stage so not looking to create much damage, or as little as possible for now.

Sponsored Links
Ideally you should chop it out and put a new one in its place, a hanger should be used where you can't build it in, (dont build in on an exterior wall in any case) space it slightly away from the wall it sits against, (use a few plastic window frame packers) and put a noggin in to the next joist for good measure. Don't forget to use treated timber.

If getting the old one out proves troublesome, post a pic. Worth sorting this out properly once and for all.

It sounds like the whole lot is going to have to come out ,its such a small span theres not much piont in messing about ,because by the time youv'e ragged the old bit out and taken enough board's up to get a new bit in your just as far into the job as a renewal, just take it easy what ever structural timbers you take out put back tanalised and keep as original ,but send some pic's and it will be easier to asses the situation.

Its difficult to get to at the moment, as the tub sits over the affected area.

And I cant on top of the kitchen ceiling at present to assess it from that end...

Will try when i get a chance. Just had a newborn so times suddenly gone into fast forward mode...

Sponsored Links
So, fast forward 3 and a half years... and the old kitchen ceiling has been taken down... and here are the pics!
IMG_20160615_061955.jpg IMG_20160615_061958.jpg IMG_20160615_062001.jpg IMG_20160615_062009.jpg IMG_20160615_062016.jpg IMG_20160615_062022.jpg IMG_20160615_062028.jpg IMG_20160615_062057.jpg
The one closest to the wall (next to the ub) seems to have suffered the most.

Access from the bottom is open (as you can see in the pics!) but the top is still covered and will remain for the time being with tiles and the bath tub!

The damage was caused by two separate damp/leak problems.

First a blocked drain at ground level soaked the wall, all the way up to the 1st floor, loosening tiles against the bath tub. The loose tiles then let water come down from the bath so the joists (and old ceiling) got a right good soaking, for a considerable time. Both were rectified when i purchased the house, however im now in a position to actually clear up the mess left behind.

Some of the plumbing will be tidied up, the water for shower currently goes under the boards to the wrong end of the bath, then a u turn abd back in the direction they came from. Once rest of the ceiling is down, they will be removed for the shortest route.

Advise on replacing the joists please? To note, if i put hangers in, there appears to be a large gap between where the new hanger would go into the brick, and the brick above! not sure if its infill of sort or if the wall has sunk... Will investigate when i get more open.

Strange conclusion regarding drains, a blocked drain at ground level could not affect first floor, more likely poor tiling/sealant at bath let the water thru and caused all the damage.

Possibly, the wall was soaked when i bought the house, bottom to top or top to bottom... the bathroom was done first and the damp remained (nov 12), and the drain a few months later (aug 13). The following summer the wall was bone dry.

The drain was directly behind the wall and probably overflowing for years, and the bathroom was in a state - tub had cracks, all of the tiles directly between the tub and wall had cracked or fallen off. Between the two, the previous owner didnt really care and let the water carry on damaging the structure...

Also if a mod could move this to building i think i'll get the correct audience more so then the woodwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back