Structural integrity after removal of block built boiler cupboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had boiler replaced, resited elswhere and would like to remove the block built cupboard.
I think that the cupboard was added after the property was built as the joist supported by the cupboard wall has plasterboard between the joist and blockwork.
It appears that this joist supports the bedroom wall above and this is what worries me.
If I add in a piece of joist to the missing section and reinforce each side with 1 meter steel bower plates secured with coach screws, will it be man enough?
I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG2.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
Sponsored Links
You really need a builder or SE on site to give you advice.

Thanks for that, I will be having the work done by a builder and have spoken to him on the phone.
However, he hasn't seen it yet as there was an asbestos panel obscuring the view when he came (now removed)
The builder seems to think that a structural engineer would want an RSJ right across my living room, to me the cost and upheaval of that would be impractical.
Waiting for the builder, but for now wondering what people think?

Attachments

• IMG2.jpg
    IMG2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 95

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back