Replacing section of joist.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a block built boiler cupboard removed following relocation of boiler.
The boiler cupboard was added shortly after the house was built for fitting of warm air heating.
A section of joist under asupporting wall was removed to accommdate a flue and was then supported by the edge of the cupboard block work. (the original plasterboard is sandwiched between the joist and the block!)
Is it feasible to replace the missing section of joist and strenghten it with say a double extrawide bower beam bolted though each side?
I would be very grateful for any advice.

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg IMG.jpg e steel extra wide bower beam bolted from both sides?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can bolt a joist section to the side

Fill the gap with a bit of joist, then 1200mm 12mm ply both sides nail and glued

Or fit a trimmer

Thanks Woody, That's reassuring.
I had in mind to fit a pair of these steel bower plates 1 metre by 150 mm but with bolts, rather than coach screws.
Will they be man enough?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 104
Has anyone used these steel plates to repair or bridge a joist?

Sponsored Links
or take a bit of joist overlapping each joist end by 1 metre 3 x M10 bolts each side with dog toothed washers between the timbers and plate washers each side. Your plates will probably be fine but as woody suggests I would fill the gap with a piece of joist too.
Many ways to skin this cat.

Thanks Woody, That's reassuring.
I had in mind to fit a pair of these steel bower plates 1 metre by 150 mm but with bolts, rather than coach screws.
Will they be man enough?
Thanks again.
Coach screws would be better than bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back