Hanging floor joists off king joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I after your opinions on hanging floor joists off king joists.

The property is a old wear house in Liverpool an am after the extra space for a office.

The king joists are 150 wide x 220 high and span 7m they are sat in the walls of the property.
The biggest length between beams is 3200mm.
Im planning of using 18mm flooring board top top and will have plaster board below for the celling.

860de626.jpg

Could I use joist hangers to hang the new floor joists from?

or if load bearing is a issue could I bolt some steel L section to the whole beam to strengthen the king joist and sit the new floor joist on that?

I'll try and get a better picture in the day. Any help is much appreciated

thank you

Sponsored Links
What you call the 'king joists' are the bottoms of the trusses.
For office loading of 2+kN/sq.m., the horizontals could well be overloaded.
Assuming they weren't, are the bearings of the trusses, and the walls themselves, sufficient for the extra loading?
There are many other issues, not the least being means of escape etc.
You really need an SEs input in this before going too far.

Ok thanks for for your thoughts.
I've had a architect loon at it and they said you should be ok but wanted to get load tests and core samples from the wood to check what is it and it quality but was quoted ££££££ for that.

Im not wanting to hang joists off it all just the centre in-between the 2 uprights, about 3m of the truss.

Is it a option to reinforce the truss with some sort of steal?

Is the roof on the outside original, because if slates have been removed and replaced by sheeting of some sort then that would have taken a load off.

Sponsored Links
@ catlad

Yeh the roof was replaced 3 years ago, its just a corrugated tin roof now.

I would be planning to insulate and plaster board under the roof/celling to stop condensation drips

Well I think what you propose is ok, but as stated you will require a structural engineer to advise you further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back