Max Joist hanger length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just looking for a bit of info regarding how low a floor can hang off joist hangers when attached to a steel beam with wood insert so will be timber to timber.

I ideally need the bottom of the joist hanger to sit about 600mm below the bottom of the steel.

Would this make the floor much too low below the steel and would the floor move at all. Span is about 3.5m

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Got my measurements wrong :)

Bottom of hanger would need to be 300mm below the bottom of the steel, so there would be a gap of approx 100m from bottom of steel to top of joist

Would that be possible or if not what is the max it can lower by

Thanks

Sponsored Links
LOL no chance.

The lowest they can hang is the distance from the top if its a masonry hanger, or the distance to the first fixing hole from the bottom if its a timber hanger.

I remember now. It was on DIY SOS years ago - they did it because one of the steels had to be high enough to make headroom for the stairs. Please excuse my drawing:

15378774624291309200929.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back